Jonathan S. Willett was born and raised in New York City. He attended college at both the University of Denver and the University of Colorado, obtaining a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Colorado in 1982. After college, Mr. Willett returned to New York to work as a writer, but found that he longed for the natural beauty of the Colorado Mountains. Mr. Willett attended law school at the University of Denver, where he was both a Research and Technical Editor and Articles Editor of the Denver University Law Review. While at the Law Review, Mr. Willett wrote and published an article, “Evolving Standards of Duty of Fair Representation Cases Under Section 301.” 62 Den. U. L. Rev. 627 (1985). Mr. Willett graduated from the University of Denver with a Juris Doctor in 1986.
Mr. Willett was employed by the Colorado State Public Defender from 1986 to 1992, working in the State Appellate Office and the Jefferson County Trial Office. Mr. Willett worked for Chalat & Company as an associate attorney during 1992 and 1993. In 1994, Mr. Willett began his own law firm.
Mr. Willett was admitted to practice law in Colorado in 1986, the United States District Court for Colorado in 1992, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in 1997, the United States Supreme Court in 2003, and the in New York State in 2007.
Mr. Willett has taught many seminars from criminal trial practice to legal writing to juvenile law. He has been accepted as an expert witness in criminal trial practice, juvenile delinquency, and appellate criminal practice in many courts in Colorado. Mr. Willett has assisted and represented defendants in cases in which the death penalty was sought. Overall, he has tried over 70 cases and pursued over 125 appeals.
In his spare time, Mr. Willett enjoys spending time with his children, cultural activities, skiing, cycling, and Frisbee.
- Select Published Appellate Cases (27 in all)
- Munoz v. Measner, 214 P.3d 510 (Colo. App. 2009)(cert. granted)
- Fabiano v. Armstrong, 141 P.3d 907 (Colo. App. 2006)
- Branch v. Colorado Department of Corrections, 89 P.3d 496 (Colo. App. 2003)
- Ruiz v. McDonnell, 299 F.3d 1173 (10th Cir. 2002)
- People v. Valencia, 888 P.2d 319 (Colo. App. 1994), affd, 906 P.2d 115 (Colo. 1995)
- People v. T.R., 860 P.2d 559 (Colo. App. 1993)
- People v. Sandoval, 805 P.2d 1126 (Colo. App. 1990)
- People v. Killpack, 793 P.2d 642 (Colo. App. 1990)
- People v. Fagerholm, 768 P.2d 689 (Colo. App. 1989)
- People v. Guilbeaux, 761 P.2d 255 (Colo. App. 1988)
- Martin v. People, 738 P.2d 789 (Colo. 1987)
- People v. Greathouse, 742 p.2d 334 (Colo. 1987)
Mr. Willett has received the highest AV and pre-eminent ratings from Martindale-Hubbell for over 17 years.